What documents are required when driving cross country

Published by on

Recently, more people have started travelling, and one way people do that is by driving across the country. In some countries, it can actually be more affordable to travel by just driving there yourself! That, or some people enjoy the adventure being on the open road brings, taking in the sights while driving towards their destination.

Today, we’ll be listing out the various documents you should prepare before heading out for a four-wheel journey across the country!

Documents for cross-country driving

Firstly, submit a request for documents at the Department of Land Transport in every province. Next, get an International Car Permit or Car Passport, as this will greatly reduce the hassle of foreign officials when processing your driving license.

Next, get a country mark, (a “T” sticker) to identify that your vehicle is from Thailand. A vehicle inspection certificate is also required for vehicle usage outside Thailand. You’ll also need a license plate in English, and your vehicle’s Certificate of Registration in English.

Documents for obtaining an international permit (car passport) and English license plate

To obtain an international permit for your car and a license plate in English, you’ll need a certified copy of vehicle registration book, a copy of the owner's ID card or a copy of the juristic person registration certificate (if your car is financed). 

Additionally, if you are representing the owner of the vehicle, you’ll need documentation for Power of Attorney and a copy of the attorney’s identification card. 

Documents for driving outside Thailand

If you are driving to any nation that is part of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), your existing driver’s license will suffice. However, if you are heading to a non-AEC nation, you will need an international driving license, which you can obtain at the Provincial Land Transport Department.

Documents to be submitted at the Thai border

At the Thai border, you must submit several documents to the authorities. Firstly, it will be TM 2, which all incoming and outgoing vehicles have to submit.

Next, TM 3, which contains all details of passengers in the car, as well as a copy of the car’s registration with the tax payment page, a copy of the driver’s license, and the documents of the person who is driving the vehicle out of Thailand.

Lastly, your international vehicle permit, as part of your car’s documentation for driving in a foreign country.

Documents submitted to the border of the country of destination

Once at the border at the foreign nation, you will need a letter of permission, which indicates that you can operate your car in that foreign nation. In some countries, these documents need to be processed in advance of arrival.

You’ll also require third party insurance that is valid in the country you’re visiting, which can be purchased at the border checkpoint. It is recommended that you do some checks in advance to ensure that you have all the necessary documents, as some countries may require additional documents before allowing you in.

Most importantly, don’t forget to plan properly, and ensure that your car is ready for the trip ahead! Send it to the workshop for a check, and do a service while you’re at it for some peace of mind. Otherwise, you’re good to go, and most importantly, don’t forget to enjoy yourself! 

Claim your free car valuation today!

Read More: Can I transfer a car across the province? How do I do it?

Looking for a  car appraisal? You can contact us for a free car valuation within 24 hours…