Can Non-Owners Insure a Car on Behalf of the Owner?
(Photo Credit: Freepik)
Do you already have a gift idea for Mother's Day?
If not, we strongly suggest providing your mother with the best protection by providing high-coverage car insurance. This is most definitely one of the more unconventional ways to show your mother love and care.
But as we are not the car owner, can we still get car insurance for our mother?
In the case where the person obtaining insurance is a family member, it is possible to get insurance on behalf of another family member's car. However, prior consent from the car owner is required. Your mother would need to grant authorisation for the handling of documentation on her behalf. The beneficiary of the benefits must be the car owner or someone with a vested interest.
The insurance coverage in this case can be divided into three main types, which are:
- The named driver policy is a type of insurance coverage that specifies named drivers in the policy, up to a maximum of 2 individuals. In the event of an accident, the named drivers listed in the policy will be responsible for the deductible. However, the advantage of this type of insurance is that the premium is lower compared to the unnamed driver policy.
- The special named driver policy provides coverage for damage in the event that the driver is aged 30 years or older and holds a driving license for at least 2 years. There is no need to specify the driver's name in the policy. However, if the driver is younger than 30 years old or has held a driving license for less than 2 years, they will be subject to paying the deductible for the damage.
- The unnamed driver policy provides coverage for damage that occurs during the use or operation of the vehicle by any person, with the consent of the policyholder.
Car insurance documentation in the case of a non-owner
- Copy of vehicle registration
- Copy of owner's national ID card
- Copy of driver's license of the driver or the person applying for insurance
However, it is recommended to consult or inquire with the car insurance company you are interested in to receive accurate and comprehensive information according to their terms and conditions.
Interested in getting car insurance? Let Motorist assist you in finding the most suitable policy for you. You can register to have our representatives contact you back!
Claim your free car valuation today!
Read More: Steps to Buy Car Insurance with Motorist!
Looking for a car appraisal? You can contact us for a free car valuation within 24 hours…